Welcome to my blog. Here's where I write about ~

~ my favourite items made by other artists and crafters from all over the world

~ things that inspire me

~ thoughts of the day

~ general ramblings and ... my own creations. enjoy...

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Houses ... Books ... Drawings and Coincidences ...

a LONG time ago, i borrowed a book from the Townsville Library called 'Not to be Trusted'.  It was a lovely book showcasing all the pencil drawings of Heritage houses in Brisbane by Anne Green and poems by Jack Murphy.




It inspired me to do two drawings of my own - one which was lost to an ex boyfriend ... (he better be looking after it!) and I kept the other myself.  It remains in the kitchen where I look at it daily and can't believe how patient I can be sometimes!  I also did a series of houses when I was doing Etching at Uni many years later.

my farm house pencil drawing

Queenslander (particular kind of house in Australia) on a sugar cane farm and the Sunlander going past (passenger train which travels up the east coast)

close up !

one of my etchings ... available on Etsy

Well, as luck would have it, the book seemed to have disappeared from the library and so I thought it was lost forever ... UNTIL ... a few years ago on a holiday in Atherton and I was scouring through an Antique store, and BINGO !! I spotted the book - in pristine condition!  What a fabulous moment!
(more of Anne's lovely drawings)





I was just looking through it the other night thinking how much I still love drawing houses and so am keeping it handy for that 'break' in the traffic ....

~  and here's some more of Anne's lovely work ...







~ exciting finds ~

1 comment:

Kristie Franklin said...

Hey girl!

I was thinking of you too! What a great photo of you on vacation!

I love your pencil drawing it is gorgeous! You do great work and how nice that you were able to find the very book you read years ago in an antique book store! I'm going to check out your Etsy shop to see your drawing.

I hope you and the kids are well and you are enjoying spring?? Or is it summer? We are under a hurricane/tropical storm warning here until Sunday evening. I just hope rain and wind is all we get!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...