Welcome to my blog. Here's where I write about ~

~ my favourite items made by other artists and crafters from all over the world

~ things that inspire me

~ my own creations

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

McKinlay Races - Girls day out ...

We've been mustering cattle lately - {actually everyone in North West Queensland is mustering} and occasionally the men can't get away to social things if we have cattle in hand, so we all stay home...  but ...the other week-end there was a race meeting (of the horse variety) over at McKinlay that lots of my friends were going to be attending.  I was really looking forward to going - a chance to see my friends and do something that isn't 'school related' as well as dress up {which is always fun} !  but there are cattle in the yards ???  ... what's a girl to do???   ... well ... pack up, glam up and load 2 kids in the car with me for the 3 hr drive of course.

... McKinlay Race trace - almost a mini Flemington!

... lovely roses brought to the races from Nirvanka's garden ...

fabulous outback  table decorations by Nirvanka - local artisan ... 
This is only my second McKinlay Races and I just love them.  Nirvanka {one of the local ladies} brings her gorgeous roses to create a wonderful 'Flemington' style trackside feel and also is in charge of the table decorating which {from my 2 experiences} have been wonderfully original and elegant for such a remote race meeting.




Besides the freezing wind ... it was a great day - saw lots of friends and our little girls had a lovely time playing with their friends and made a couple of new ones as well.  My friend Karen  {whom I've blogged about before here} took out 'Most Innovative' in the Fashion Stakes in her stunning green/black race outfit and Caroline {also on my previous blogs here} was looking very French in her gorgeous red beret.    {I'm now re-thinking a beret for my own wardrobe... hmmm}

... oh so chic ... Caroline and Karen

Karen's sash and flowers
... more of Karen's winnings - yay!

.... yes I DID wear my fascinator ...

... a better look ...


 Race meetings out here are some of the best social days on our calendar.  It's a great family day and it gives us a chance to dress up and catch up with friends.  I managed to snap a few of my favourite outfits to share with you.  Love this jacket below ... it was very Chanel ...

 
more fab hats and fascinators ...

After the races, we partied for a while into the night after changing into our jeans and VERY warm jackets ... Did I mention the day was freezing?  Very sunny but extremely windy all day and it just got colder...  like 3 degrees ... brrrrrr

We very gladly accepted an invitation from my lovely friend Fiona and her family to stay the night at their {ultra warm} house.  It was like a huge pyjama party for all of us and we loved every minute of it... but unfortunately all good things must come to an end.  Very hard to say goodbye sometimes... but don't worry ... hopefully next year we'll be back and dad and the boys will be with us!


 
... my one last snap on the way back home.  The tiny town of McKinlay is actually famous ...  Do you recognize this pub?  If you've ever seen Crocodile Dundee, then this is the famous Walkabout Creek Hotel that is in the movie!  ... so even a little  Hollywood Glamour to finish our 'girls' weekend'.   ;-)


~  friends and fascinators  ~


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...